Family-ish Week 4 – Discussion Guide
Main Idea: Church is a tie that binds us together as a family for a greater purpose.
Introduction: There are believers and nonbelievers alike who feel that the church is part of the problem, not a family.
Discussion Starter: Have you ever run in a “sack race” where your leg is connected to someone else’s leg and you have to work together to run to the finish line? It’s much harder to run when you’re tied to another person. What are you tied to? Is it emotional, physical, or spiritual?
Primary Scriptures: Matthew 12:46-50, Psalm 92:12-15, Ephesians 4:30, Hebrews 10:23-25
- The Church is struggling overall right now. Churches are not growing, not teaching, and people are leaving. Looking at Faith Promise, what can you do as a member to ensure the family aspect stays a part of who we are?
- Read Psalms 92:12-15. If the church is what ties us together, what does it look like to flourish in the house of God? What does it mean to be planted in the house of the Lord?
- Read Hebrews 10:23-25. Sometimes it’s easy to encourage one another. But how about encouraging others when we’re in a bad place, or feeling down ourselves? Pastor Chris said being a part of every weekend, serving one another, and attending group every week is therapy, not just for show. Evaluate yourself and the people you love: Who needs encouragement to come to church, attend small group, and serve? How can you do that? Make a game plan for who and how.
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Hebrews 10:23-25 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into twos or threes for this section.
How can your group serve the community? Each other? The church?
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Are you serving at Faith Promise? If are you, who have you invited to serve with you? Text or call someone you serve with and encourage them this week. Are you in a small group? If so, who can you invite to group? Text or call someone in your group to encourage them this week.
Engaging in Our Community and the World: Serve Day is July 10th. Come up with a project and register your group or family to serve.
Expand God’s Kingdom
The Big “C” Church is in trouble. How can you pray for other churches? We are all the body of Christ. How can we encourage others to attend church, whether it’s ours or not, even if they live far away?
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through the development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.