Wake Up Week 1 – Discussion Guide
Main Idea: Choose between paralyzing fear and powerful faith.
Discussion Starter: We see a lot of fear right now in the world. You can’t turn on the TV or look at your social media thread without reading something that stirs fear. What are some fears that stand out to you in 2020?
Introduction: Every day we choose to put our trust into God or this world. We choose what armor we will put on to fight the battles life places in our path. Free will means we can determine who we follow, what our lives will look like, and how we will live. We can’t always choose what happens to us but we can choose how we react. Today, did you choose fear or faith?
Primary Scriptures: Romans 12:1-2, Ephesians 5:14, Ephesians 6:10-11, Ephesians 5:15-18, James 4:4, 1 John 4:18
- Read Romans 12:1-2. What is Paul urging readers to do and what not to do?
- In Ephesians 5, Paul discusses walking in love and contrasting light and dark. What does it mean for Christ to shine on you in verse 14?
- How then should we walk according to verses 15-18 in Ephesians 5?
- God is here to help us walk in His light and to fight the schemes of our enemy. What weapons does He provide for us in Ephesians 6?
- Read James 4:4 and discuss what directive or warning Christians should remember?
- Discuss the wonderful reminder from 1 John 4:18 that John provides Christians as they live in the world.
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Ephesians 5 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into twos or threes for this section.
In what ways can we encourage each other as we go through the upcoming week to walk in God’s light and not to conform to this world?
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: What are some ways you, your small group, and/or your family can still volunteer right now?
Engaging in Community and the World: Volunteering in the community and in our local non-profits has dropped drastically due to all that is going on. Are there any ways that you could volunteer or help some of our partnering nonprofits to show that we are not going to allow fear to rule?
Expand God’s Kingdom
Who can you think of that may not be attending a church regularly and has been impacted by the events of 2020? Invite them to attend or send a link to our church so that they can participate.
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.