Main Idea: Our words can spark fires that steal, kill, and destroy OR spread warmth, light, and life.
Discussion Starter: Have you ever heard a child or someone with “no filter” say something shocking but hilarious?
Introduction: We convince ourselves that we would never be so reckless with our words to hurt others or that our words don’t have the impact that they do. However, God’s Word repeatedly shows us that our tongues hold the power of life and death AND that they cannot be tamed by our own power—only by conforming to God’s will and allowing Him to transform our mind.
Primary Scriptures: James 3:2-7, Proverbs 18:21, James 3:9-12, Romans 12:2, Matthew 4:4
- Have you ever said anything that burned someone else? Has someone said something that burned you? How was the fire extinguished, and how can you avoid another situation like that?
- Is there something you’ve said to someone for which you need to seek forgiveness?
- What situations or people make it hard to control your tongue?
- Has someone ever spoken words of life to you? How can we hold each other accountable for regularly speaking words of life?
- Read Matthew 12:33-37. What’s one thing you can do daily that will fill your heart so your words will be godly?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Mathew 4:4 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.