The Lord will make a way when there seems to be no way. He delivers and saves His people in His way, in His timing and for His glory.
We can all concede that “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). However, we all have those irrational fears that we have a hard time ignoring. Share with your group some things in life that your find terrifying. (Heights, spiders, snakes, flying, even failure)
We can all look back in our past and point to pivotal Red Sea moments, moments where God moved in great power even when we did not trust that He would or maybe even could. When Israel was trapped between the Red Sea and the Egyptian army, they took their eyes off of the Lord and faced the pursuing Egyptians. They saw only death or slavery, but they did not see God. We must remember our situation is never hopeless if we have God on our side. “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14). We learned that often we find ourselves in these “Red Sea” situations because God has allowed it to test our faith, the enemy is trying to destroy us, or we made some bad decisions. Regardless of how we arrive there, we must take the opportunity for God to show His Power.
ENCOUNTERING GOD THROUGH BIBLE STUDY:
Read Exodus 14:1-9.
1) The Lord had the Israelites follow a circuitous route, and this lead Pharaoh to believe the Israelites were confused. He once again hardens Pharaoh’s heart, and he pursues them. How did God gain glory for himself with this plan?
2) Can you share a time when you seem hemmed in by your circumstances?
Read Exodus 14: 10-18.
3) The Israelites were terrified when they saw the Egyptians. Do you fear difficult circumstances or difficult people? How has God used impossible circumstances to help you or bring glory to him?
Read Exodus 14:29-30
4) How did the Israelites respond to God’s great power?
5) Can you share a time when God’s great power worked on your behalf?
6) Our circumstances may seem frightening, but in the hands of our Lord, we can see great spiritual growth and deliverance. How will you step out in faith and trust God? Will you look to Him first when you face adversity?