We will all need others to support us through difficult times or tragedies at some point. God designed and developed the family for support. Later He invented a second family, the Church.
We’ve all been involved in team sports at some level (whether as a participant or as a spectator). Why are individuals working together as one unit more successful than a group acting as individuals?
Jesus said that in this world we would have trouble. When the wheels fall off it is too late to begin putting together a support group. These relationships need to be formed before the train wreck. God established the church as a family of support. When done right, church is the hope of the world. The church should be a place to experience support and belonging.
1. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 states two are better together than one…why?
2. As social media has increased social support has decreased. Why do you think people are more comfortable talking through keystrokes than face to face?
3. Why is it important to maintain a support group of friends, family, and/or small group? Can you share about a difficult time during which you were supported by others?
4. Reading 1 Corinthians 12:12 we see the church is one body made of many members. Why is it not wise to pursue following Christ alone apart from other believers?
Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-27
5. Why are we together in one body?
6. How does God organize His army?
7. The enemy, Satan, wants to isolate us to make us an easier target. How does sticking together like a platoon thwart this plan of attack?
8. What role do spiritual gifts play in strengthening the members into one body?
9. When working as God intended the church is the hope of the world. What does this mean to you? How does this make a difference in the world?
10. Church has become a destination or an event for many people in the 21st century. How can we as Christ-followers get back to being the church instead of just attending a church?