Small Things, Big Difference Week 3 – Discussion Questions
Would you like to make a Big Difference at Faith Promise this year? Our discussion questions team is currently seeking writers! If you would like to write discussion questions please contact Dustin Scott at [email protected].
Taking control of our thoughts is the first step in guiding our words, actions, habits, and destiny to the path that God has set out for us.
Share a favorite memory from your childhood.
This week Pastor Chris preached about Proverbs 23:7 “For as a man thinks within himself, so he is.” Our thoughts have enormous impact on our words, actions, habits, and therefore our destiny. Let’s discuss ways in which we can direct our thoughts in a more positive way. Remember, by making small changes, we can make a big difference!
ENCOUNTERING GOD THROUGH BIBLE STUDY:
Read 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
1. How do you feel about having “divinely powerful” weapons of warfare against the enemy?
2. How do we take captive every thought?
3. What are some lies you have told yourself? I can’t lose weight? I can’t improve my marriage?
4. Who is the “father of lies” according to John 8:44?
Instead of lies, we must soak ourselves in the truth.
Read Philippians 4:8-9
5. How do we know what is true, noble and right?
6. Paul says in in verse 9 that he has taught the Philippians what to do. Who has taught you? Do you have a mentor in the faith?
Read Romans 12:2
7. We are to be transformed by the “renewing of our minds.” How do we renew our minds?
8. Pastor spoke of “changing the inputs” in our minds to change our thoughts. Are there some “inputs” that you could change that would help you to grow your faith?
2. Discuss staying connected with God through daily Bible reading and quiet time and also staying accountable to a prayer partner or to the group.
3. Use this time to encourage and build each other up (1 Thessalonians 5:11). Help to destroy and tear down lies that may be holding group members back from being who they are meant to be.
5. Scripture. Encourage participation in the daily Bible reading plan. You may also discuss how God has given us the Holy Spirit and we feel convicted when we sin.
7. God renews our minds, but we help the process by practicing spiritual disciplines such as studying the scriptures, prayer, and fasting.
8. Think about your entertainment. Use the resources you have available to grow spiritually. Faith Promise offers podcasts of the sermons, and there are Christian music radio stations and Christian bookstores. These “inputs” may help you to keep your thoughts captive in Christ.