Set the Table Week 3 – Discussion Guide
Set the table for a Spirit-filled legacy in your family, and make the Gospel your centerpiece.
Sometimes what makes a movie or book so compelling is the whisper or echo of the greatest story ever told—the Gospel. What is your favorite movie or book? Does it include themes of rescue, redemption, or love?
What do you think about the most? What captures your heart? Meditate on the Gospel story. Let it soak into your mind and into your heart. How you you see the Gospel played out in your own life? As the gospel captures your heart, think about what you can do to make sure the next generation’s hearts are captured by God’s story.
Primary Scriptures: Proverbs 4:23, Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- What do you think about the most?
- The greatest story—the centerpiece of the table—is the Gospel. Read 1 John 4:10. Share with your group a specific example of how you have experienced God’s grace and mercy in your life.
- Read Deuteronomy 6:4-9. Pastor Kyle quoted Donald Miller: “The primary responsibility of parents is to set the table so that their family’s hearts can be captured by the greater story.” Whether you are a parent or not, we ALL have influence over someone. Think about your response to question 2. Have you shared that story with your kids? Your classmates? Your coworkers? Your friends? How did they respond? How does sharing a personal story capture people’s hearts?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Psalm 37:1-6 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
Pray for one another that the Gospel would be the centerpiece of your tables.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: If we are to influence our children and those around us to be part of God’s redeeming work, we must take part in that work. How are you serving at Faith Promise? We have ministry opportunities ranging from parking attending, to catering, to running the sound board. Make a commitment to sign up and serve at your campus. Hold each other accountable.
Engaging in Community and the World: We are participating with hundreds of others churches across the country in SERVE Day on Saturday, July 13, 2019. Download the app and make a plan serve with your group!
Expand God’s Kingdom
Summer is a great time for groups to host picnics and and invite friends and neighbors. Make a plan! No agenda. No Bible lesson. Meet people where they are, show them the love of Jesus, and see what God does!
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.