Satan will attack us and drag us into spiritual warfare whether we like it or not. As Pastor Chris stated last week and Zac quoted this week “we saints can defy gravity and soar to heights the world thinks are impossible.” In order to accomplish this we must rise to the challenge and be the spiritual warriors God has called us to be.
What are the first images that come to mind when you hear the term spiritual warfare?
We are in a constant battle daily. Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers and powers of darkness and spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places as we are reminded in Ephesians 6: 11-12. Our enemy wants to diminish the kingdom of God as much or sometimes even more than we want to advance it. Each day we must rise up and kill selfish desires in order to achieve the dreams God has for us.
Read Ephesians 6:11-12.
1. Do you think we sometimes get confused as to the identity of our enemy? Why?
2. Why is it more difficult to fight against a spiritual versus a physical enemy?
3. We are reminded to put on the armor of God in order to resist the attack of Satan. We WILL be attacked, so we must be prepared when the attack comes. Why do you think Satan is so aggressive in his fight?
Read Matthew 11:12
4. We know that God gives us a portion of the kingdom now, and this makes the devil mad! He wants nothing more than to take it away from us. How can toughness in prayer make a difference in this battle?
Read Ephesians 2:1-7
5. We were all dead in sin before becoming alive in Christ. What has to change for us to move from death to life?
6. In verses 1-2 what made us dead in our sins and trespasses?
7. The term “like the rest of mankind” in verse 3 has huge implications. Discuss some of these.
8. Selfish desires will kill God ordained dreams. Why?
9. How do we overcome these desires?
10. Verses 4-7 reminds us why we continue in this battle each day. We know we will defy the spiritual gravity and soar to impossible heights. Discuss what it means to be made alive together in Christ.