Main Idea: The Mind Monsters of emotion have moved from under our beds to inside our heads.
Discussion Starter: Have you known anyone to have some deep-seated fear, a fear that paralyzed them or prevented them from doing something? Have you experienced any of these: fear of heights, speaking in public, tight spaces, spiders, snakes, etc.?
Introduction: There is more than one type of fear and the Bible has a lot to say about fear. This week we will look at how fear impacts us and how we can handle fears more productively, as well as supporting others as they work through some of their personal fears. Wouldn’t it be nice if this mind monster lost some (or all!) its control in our lives?
2 Timothy 1:7, 1 John 4:18, Hebrews 2:14, Matthew 6:25-34
- What do the passages in 1 John and Hebrews point to as the source of our fear?
- What does the passage in 2 Timothy say that God gives us?
- In this series, Pastor talked about parking our minds on the thoughts found on the “P48 Train.” What similar thoughts/actions are we reminded of in 2 Timothy that God gives us to overcome Mind Monsters?
- How does the passage from Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew 6:25-34 tell us to behave?
- What are some action items or thoughts we can take this week to help us with our fears?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Matthew 6:25 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.