God pursued us, his creation, by sending his son Jesus to die for us. He continues to pursue us today by seeking a relationship with us.
What does it mean to pursue something? Is anyone willing to share a time when they pursued or sought after something (either something positive or something detrimental)?
Pursue: continue or proceed along, engage in (activity or course of action), continue to investigate, explore, or discuss.
We pursue things every day. We pursue our relationships, jobs, wants, needs, dreams, the list goes on. And many things in life pursue us. Our friends and family pursue our attention, our jobs and hobbies pursue our time. Have you ever pursued something worth-while, like an education or a healthy relationship? What about something not worth-while, like an addiction? Ultimately, nothing compares to the way that Jesus Christ, the bridegroom of the bible, pursued his bride, the Church.
Read Ephesians 5:22-24
1. These verses include several subjects being discussed; wives, the Lord, husbands, Christ, and the church. Which of these are being compared to each other and why do you think that is?
Read Ephesians 5:25-27
2. What are these verses instructing the husband to do?
3. In what way has Christ given himself up for the Church?
4. In your opinion, what must a husband do for his wife in order to treat her as Christ treated the Church?
Read Ephesians 5:28-30
5. Again, what are these verses saying about how the husband should treat his wife?
Read Ephesians 5:31-33
6. Remember the comparisons being made in verses 22-24 and discuss the significance of those comparisons in respect to verse 31.
7. What are some ways that a wife can respect her husband? What are ways that we as the church can show our respect for Christ?