Family Life: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
Where is your marriage and family focus? How do you divide your attention between the past, present and future? My encouragement to you today is to focus primarily on today, slightly on tomorrow (the future) and virtually none on yesterday (the past). Below are a few pro’s and con’s for each of the three areas of focus.
Yesterday (The Past)
- Enjoy great memories
- Learn from past choices and decisions.
- You can’t change it
- Often a source of guilt because of poor choices
- Opens old wounds.
- Be fully present in your marriage and family life. Participate, don’t spectate.
- You can make a difference in the lives of those you love the most.
- Today is a gift, a blessing. Invest your time wisely.
- Soon today will be filled away in the yesterday column. Make the most of it with your spouse and children.
Tomorrow (The Future)
- Give some attention to future planning.
- “Imagine The End” as it relates to your life, marriage and children.
- When your days on earth are complete did you make your walk with God and your family your highest priority?
- Don’t miss today worrying about tomorrow.
- Don’t live a “someday” life only to realize today could have been someday.
It’s so easy to misplace our focus. Let’s make the most of today. Psalm 118:24: “This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
Where is your focus?