To further the conversation started by the weekend message, use these discussion questions in a group study or for personal reflection. Audio and video of the topic may be found here.
1. Share a story of someone who expressed all Christ had done for him or her but refused to attend church.
2. What are his or her reasons for not being part of a local church?
3. What would happen if people who have a negative bent towards the local church put their energy into making it better?
4. Name some differences between going to church and being the church?
5. Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-27. What is our responsibility to one another as part of the “body of Christ?”
6. What happens to the church when individuals remove themselves?
7. What happens to individuals when they remove themselves?
8. Read the following passages.
“If your brother sins against you, go and show him is fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.” Matthew 18:15-17
“But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:15
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:12-14
“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
What should our response be to people who are hurt, disillusioned, or offended?
9. What specific issues and people in your community would be different if the church was living out what Jesus said it would (the gates of hell could not stop it)?
10. What is one way you personally can make your church greater, according to who God’s created you to be?
Group Leaders can find discussion questions for additional topics here.